Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

Sickness CertificatesIf you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work - ’Fit Note'

As from April 2010 these have changed slightly and are now called Fitness to work Certificates. This allows your Dr to suggest possible alternatives to being off work such as light duties or a phased return to work. These will be discussed with you where appropriate and can then be used as a guide for your employer although it does not bind your employer to offering such options.

We are not required to provide sick notes in your self certification period and we are not able to provide sick notes for non medical problems. More guidance about sick notes is available through the link below.

If you require a sick note please contact reception or submit a query through the systemonline messaging system with information about the nature of illness, the duration of illness and when you expect to return to work.

Due to the current COVID crisis, to avoid unecessary transfer of paper, we are currently supplying MED3 (sick notes) via text message download where possible. It is therefore important we have correct mobile phone numbers where these are available. 

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced)

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website